This is THE hottest baby item in Denmark. These strollers are great. The wheels are big and rubber so they work well with all of the cobblestone streets. They can be zipped up all around the baby to keep the baby warm. The baby can lay down and sleep, or you can put up a little back rest and harness them into it so they can be sitting up and see everything. There is a canopy that can go up (you can see it behind the baby's head) that will block out the wind. The whole carrier part lifts out, so you can bring the baby with you if you want to leave the stroller part somewhere. These may just be a city thing, because they seem pretty big. I don't know that they would fit into the back of a car. But, EVERYONE has these here. Moms here get paid 1 year off after they have a baby. A whole year! Or the mom and dad can split the time however they like. The flip side of getting so much time off for having a baby, is that all the moms go back to work when the babies are between 10-14 months, and the babies all go to day care. So you see alot of babies being pushed around in strollers, but you don't see alot of toddlers. I checked out the price of these strollers yesterday while I was out...only $900...no big deal.
I mentioned how all the babies sleep outside in these strollers at church. Well, I've seen that everywhere, not just at church. And a mom was telling me that at alot of day cares, all the kids take their naps outside, even in the middle of winter. I guess they just believe that the cold air is good for the kids, and helps them sleep longer. Crazy!
This, I figure, must be some sort of delivery bike. Looks cool, doesn't it?
Don and I really want to get one of these. It's almost exactly like the pull behind trailers we have for bikes in the US, except for over here, it's all one piece. A regular bike tire in the back, and this two-kid compartment in front. The kids get a little better view. I think you just take the front off of your regular bike and attach this, because I know this trailer thing is sold separately, for about a third of the price of the stroller above. Backwards from US prices, huh? Near the place we want to rent, there are alot of trails around this lake and a small forest, so getting bikes and this trailer would be a blast.
Bikes are very common here. There are fairly wide bike lanes on both sides of the streets. It takes some getting used to when you're driving a car. When you turn right, you always have to look behind you to make sure there are no bikers going straight through the green light. The bikers definitely don't slow down for the cars. I've had one biker yell "hey!" to me because he thought I was turning and not waiting for him ( I totally saw him, of course!). It is kind of crazy to look at how many bikes are on the road. These people do not let the cold inconvenience them. It's fun to see.
16 years ago

4 comments:
Okay, that bike trailer thing is crazy! It's huge! But it does look like it'd be a lot of fun for the little ones.
Biking in the winter...that's gotta be cold!
Oh yeah, I was going to tell you that Dan and I also have a stroller that's made in Europe. It's called the Bugaboo Frog. We absolutely love the stroller and all its versatility, but it is an expensive stroller! (Luckily, Dan's brother paid half as a gift for us.) They must just make more quality baby products over there. :)
Wow!!! Thanks for the great posts--Copenhagen looks fantastic, and I can't believe how DIFFERENT it is! What is the deal w/ leaving the babies outside?? Crazy.
and i think bikes sound like a blast. tom taylor bought a really cool bike when he came to wales for study abroad--it was a great thing to have. he stores it in Wales during the year and then uses it every summer. i bet you could sell yours when you're done w/ copenhagen
Post a Comment