So my friend told me the other day she had heard that a store in a nearby city was selling a lot of American food, because it is close to the Embassy and the International School here. I got really excited because she said there were things like cake mixes, cereal, cans of pumpkin ( I have some great pumpkin recipes that are tradition for me to cook come fall season!) and other stuff. I decided to go today and she was right, there was all this great stuff, and I ended up coming home with...nothing.
Denmark is expensive anyway, but when it comes to selling American groceries in Denmark, it's on a whole different level.
Cake mixes were between $8-$10.
A small can of pumkin was $6.
A small/regular box of Teddy Grahams was $11.
Candy bars were $2.50 each.
A mini jar of peanut butter was $10.
A box of pop tarts was about $10.
I just couldn't bring myself to buy anything. Atleast I know it is there if I ever feel desperate enough. I wanted to make this cake that would need two cans of pumpkin and a cake mix, but it would have cost $20!!! Crazy. I'll have to wait until my mom comes to visit after the baby is born to make that one I guess, and have her bring ingredients. Ahh, Denmark! The great news is, Don and I hardly crave anything from the states. We do have a stash of peanut butter and the Dahmers brought us two huge Costco things of syrup (thank you thank you!) and I do pancakes and cakes and brownies from scratch which is better anyway, right? The Danes have great bakeries with great breads and sweets, so our stomachs and sweet tooth cravings are definitely fulfilled. I just thought you might get a laugh out of the prices I found at this store today. I left laughing.
16 years ago
6 comments:
oh no! i can't believe those prices!! but you're right, cakes and brownies are better from scratch, just more time-consuming. but as jim always reminds me: we have tons of time, not tons of money. :) you'll come back from denmark a baker extraordinaire!
You poor thing- what a tease! I would have been so disappointed, but you also have more will power than I do!!
That is amazing that it costs that much to import those items. Or they just make a huge profit. I will try not to get upset when I can't get a cake mix on sale for
.50.
And I thought prices were going through the roof here. No more complaining for me:) I'll think of you as I eat my next pop tart.
Amy - I just found your blog through another friend's blog. I'm still amazed how everyone is connected! It was fun to catch up and see what you've been up to.
That would be so disappointing! what a rip-off! It really does put our food prices in the US into perspective... I guess the flip side will be true when you are back in the States and longing for something Danish! :)
Post a Comment